Thursday 2 May 2013

Evaluation - 6. What have I learnt about technologies in the process of constructing my film sequence?

When filming and editing my thriller I had to learn numerous amounts of skills to be able to handle all the new technologies. When filming I also had to learn how to work my way round the camera and how to get the best picture, I had to gain knowledge of Final Cut Pro on the iMacs, I also learnt how to use Sound Track Pro, and Motion. I had to learn many features of the technologies and learning these assisted me in making the best outcome for my sequence.


When it came to filming the thriller sequence, I learnt about the features of the camera and what and what not to do while filming. I learnt not to use the zoom when filming. This is because it affects picture quality and can exaggerate camera movement, making it very difficult to keep the camera still. I learnt how to create meaning by using different shot types and shooting different things. At the start of my thriller sequence I wanted to create feelings of uncertainty and anticipation in the build up of introducing my protagonist and establishing my location. I did this by using a tip from the psychological thriller Enduring Love (picture 22a) where I took shots of open spaces that would normally create idea's of freedom and safety, see the picture below. I learnt how to tilt and pan when filming and this assisted me when shooting my sequence as I was able to tilt the camera down from the open space down to the pathway of my location. This is tilting motion is shown in pictures 25 and 26. The effect of this was that when my protagonist is finally introduced, he has filled the open space and is therefore challenging the idea's of freedom and safety that were created by the open space, meaning that he is not safe. This creates feelings of tension for the audience as they are anticipating something bad to happen to the protagonist in the near future. With my new knowledge of how to create tension with camera work, I made sure I had lots of long shots of my protagonist walking away from the camera. The fact that the long shot makes my protagonist look small is to alert the audience that he is vulnerable. This creates anticipation as the audience expect something to challenge my protagonist due to his defencelessness.


22a.
25.

26.


When using Final Cut to edit my sequence I had to learn how to operate the system and how to put my idea's onto the computer screen. When editing, I had to learn how to use overlays and what effect they have on the sequence. The method of overlays is shown in picture 28. After learning how to put one clip on top of another and fade the newly added clip so that it looks like a flash back, I had to learn the effects the overlays have and how it contributes to the end product. When studying the effects of overlays I found out that using overlays prompts suggestions of flashbacks. This gives the audience an insight into what the protagonist is experiencing and what he/she is possibly feeling. I also learnt that the use of flash backs is an enigma code as it gives clues to the forth coming narrative. In learning the effects of using overlays I also learned the effect of using colour correction when editing. The method of how to desaturate a picture is shown in picture 27. In all the filming of the thriller sequence that was meant to be in the present tense, I made sure that the colour in the clips were de-saturated, but not fully. This created a cold cinematic atmosphere which projects feelings of darkness and glumness. This makes the viewer feel uncomfortable because as soon as the film starts, there is a dark edge to it. Another exploitation of colour that I used was to not de-saturate the overlays. Going back to creating meaning through filming, I didn't de-saturate the overlays. I did this to reflect the protagonist's situation as it offers the idea that the protagonist is currently in a daze, the de-saturated present tense, and when he thinks back to the night before, the over laid flash backs, his memory becomes clearer as he is starting to remember the events of the night before.



27.

28.


When creating the sound track for my thriller sequence I had to learn to get to grips with Soundtrack Pro. One of the first things I learnt to do was how to locate sounds and how to control the volume of those sounds. The methods used to make the sound and to make the sound louder or quieter at certain points is shown in picture 29. One of the first sounds I included was the drone that is constant throughout the sequence. I chose this drone to match the cold atmosphere and to reinforce the ideas presented to the audience, i.e. the enigma codes (e.g. flashbacks) that were presented to the audience. The drone is constant to make the audience feel constant anxiety and stress so that when the jolt happens, it is exaggerated, making it scarier than it would be without the drone to build it up. Notice also, that there is a high percentage of non-diagetic sound in my sequence. I have learnt this by studying many of Alfred Hitchcock's films (e.g.Psycho). When watching his films I have found that before every nerve shattering jolt, there is a distinct lacking in diagetic sound as this makes the jolt sound even louder. The effect of not using diagetc sounds is that it causes tension as the viewer is constantly anticipating a jolt. Most of the time when there is a flash back displaying distress there is normally a sound of thunder or an impact sound to make the audience jump. Not only is this frightening, but it also hints to the narrative as the loud impact and thunder noises create distress for the audience which point to how the protagonist is feeling.

29.
Another feature of the iMac I had to learn to use was Motion. In the process of making titles on Motion is shown in picture 30. This is used to produce titles in the thriller sequence. To make sure that all the titles were in the same position, I created a 'safe zone' around the screen so that there was a consistency to where the titles fell which looks professional. The 'safe zone' is shown in picture 31. I also had to learn about safe zone in film titles. This is when titles are only allowed to be placed in certain areas of the screen so that they don't distract from the picture. I also learnt that I had to keep my titles suttle as it would help resemble the cold, dull atmosphere I was attempting to create. making the titles suttle would also mean that the audience would see them but they wouldn't be distracted by them.


30.
31.


Before I started this course, the only editing kit I had used was Windows Movie Maker. This isn't a highly advanced editing station as it was designed to be user friendly, therefore it wasn't too complex. When I started the A level course, I had to learn to adapt quickly to the newer, more advanced editing software as they weren't what I was used to. I also wasn't an expert on film making as I wasn't sure how to utilise shots t create meanings. In spite of these factors, I learnt how to use all the new software and, with some studying, have now come to understand the art of film making and how to give out meaning through specific shots. I am now a better media student and film maker as a result of my new found knowlege.

No comments:

Post a Comment